6.23.2008

Miss Mo' Better

Portishead had a new album out not too long ago; but what you need (and SO what I am supplying you) is from an album 40 years old.
Miss Morgana King. Setting a template. A template worth knowing about.
I will, out of self-interest (enlightened self-interest, at least) rather than generosity, also give you some of this most-recent Portishead. Why do I say self-interest?: I am trying to "drive traffic", as the hackers say. You will come for Portishead, but what I really want you to have the Miss Morgana King.
That is why I will post the relevant Portishead songs near the end of this blog:
DADDY SAYS you MUST eat your (delicious!) vegetables before having your (also delicious!) dessert. The RULES are the RULES my son.

Ahem.
Listen to this song alone, and you will hear Beth Gibbons -- You will hear what you love about Beth Gibbons (she, of course, is the Voice of Portishead).

Miss Morgana King - Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child

Now, I often feel like a motherless child myself - I was raised by wolves (which I sometimes phrase as "I sprang fully formed from my own forehead") - so I can empathize with this song's effective working-through of mourning.

To continue with songs that evoke Portishead, we have the title of this song- "The Night has A Thousand Eyes".

Miss Morgana King - The Night Has A Thousand Eyes

Since I don't feel like emoting all over this blog, I will post, instead, the back cover of the album, which does a reasonable job of encapsulating

Miss

Morgana

King


miss mo 1 a
miss mo 1b

miss mo 2a
miss mo 2b


If your browser (or my blog itself) is giving you grief viewing these, go to my flickr page and view them fullsize. They, like Miss Morgana King Herself, are worth the time to engage. Although her music more than these texts, obviously.
Oh, you wanted some P-head too, correct? Here are some excellent songs of their new album, which (to my recent thinking) sound the most like Miss Morgana King. So, together with her songs to which you have listened, you will get a nice dense block of a particular sound.
Oooh! you are so LUCKY!

Portishead - The Rip

Portishead - Hunter

Perhaps this "Hunter" is hunting during a "Night with A Thousand Eyes"
-
Do You Think?

Ah yes I almost forgot to add this:
Tom Jones (!) covered "Motherless Child". With Portishead! BUT Tom did the singing himself.
I grant you permission to listen to a clip of it HERE.
I hope that marking out your preference for one song over the other will not tax you too greatly.
Thanks to Matt Beck for accidentally drawing my attention to a conversation about Portishead's new album, which was the spark that led to this blog: blame him - not me.

1 comment:

Doctor J said...

Dude, that Morgana King track is UN-BELIEVE-ABLE! Makes me want to go out give a hug or something to a motherless child.

That's just some seriously sad sh*t.