4.17.2010

Brothers From Another Mother: Isleys and Big Poppa

Speaking of samples (as I did last time), here is a gem of a song I've been sitting on for a minute. In a hot HOT batch of records I snatched up the other day, I procured a few Isley Brothers albums.
Of which there are roughly a million, by the way. In fact, Wiki tells me they had 20 albums between 1969 and 2006: excuse me, that's 20 albums that reached the Top 10, in 35-ish years. I guess when you have like 7 guys in the band, there are more songs getting written?
(7/35=5; 5x20=100; 100/10= 10; 10/10 = perfect: do the math, it adds up)

Who knows- the point is, that these Brothers From The Same Mother got sampled- and that produces another song, A Brother From ANOTHER Mother, as it were.

Here is the "elder" song, a real sexy satiny sort of thing.
Download Isley Brothers: "Between The Sheets"



A little suggestion: give it a listen on YouTube whilst ye download it.

The Isley Brothers: Between The Sheets on YouTube



And here is the song built around the former- I'm pretty sure we all love this song.

Big Poppa, Notorious B.I.G.



Also, I was trying to find a good picture of sample-sized-spoons, and I found this instead. A marrow- that's bone marrow, you understand?- spoon. A Narrow Marrow Spoon, that.



Interesting. I bet Biggie would be crushing on some marrow if he weren't dead. Sigh.... His loss, and ours.

No comments: