7.09.2008

ARCHIVE FEVER - woodcuts

Der Bär bereicht das Mädchen.

I am learning German right now: Iche lerne die Deutsch. I have some books, and all of them are quite boring, except one: Elementary German Series by Peter Hagboldt.

I'm aware of how thrilling this sounds.
This book is only of note (to you, at least - to me, es hilft mich mit die Wörtern!) because of it's drawings. You know, children -- feeble minds -- must be kept entertained, and I am much like them in this respect.
It was illustrated by W.T. Mars and Susan Perl. Susan Perl also illustrated "The Sex Life of the American Female". What I have here is aimed down a little, as far as age goes. Roughly, this age:



Just some of the best illustrations today (I might post more later- these are not the only good bits PROMISE). All of these appear to be woodcuts, but I'm no expert (you won't hear me say that very often) Come on; I know something about everything, not everything about everything.

Speaking of, let me here justify the posts tagged "Archive Fever".
Blogs should be a particular form of narcissism. They do it well: displaying bits of whatever catches someone's attention about themselves. But if a blog is up there so you can discuss yourself, I mean your 'self', then that is generally in very poor taste. (I'll tell you why later: it's my anti-humanism at work.)
It reminds me of this song



It has choice lines like
"Hey all you Renaissance Geniuses
you know we wanna see it all
your vaginas and your penises
your feces-es
masterpieces
oh".

I am not a Renaissance Genius myself. I am a Renaissance Dilettante: hence knowing something about it all. So I am archiving my GREAT stuff, not because it is mine, but because it is GREAT. It's interesting stuff (Vinyl records, woodcuts, tins, Italian anti-drug pamphlets, skateshop vinyl figurines, etc.) It's all AWESOME first, and mine only secondarily. That they are mine just makes it easier for me to present them to you (I'm not lazy: I'm just efficient).
Plus, some of it's three-dimensional, so I am bringing analog and three dimensions to the digital and 2-D internet. EVERYTHING SOUNDS BETTER/BEST WITH ME.

'On to the pictures, please', right?








I particularly like this one. The lion has its right paw raised, giving a balance to its raised tail. Even better, the roots of the trees snake around its feet, so that you know that the lion is in the forest. If the roots didn't come into the foreground, the tree would seem to be in the background. But the story clearly says that the lion is in the forest; I know this because I read the story BECAUSE I AM SMART AND I AM LEARNING GERMAN.








And to bring it back to the text, here is one with a little Deutsch thrown in. It says that the wolf ate a little lamb, "but was still hungry: a wolf is always hungry!" So it went back, but the farmers caught it and beat it with their sticks until they had "beaten the wolf as soft as butter".

Funny people, these Germans.




(FYI I bit the title of Archive Fever from Derrida- the only thing you'll ever get of him from me.

)

5 comments:

Ammon Allred said...

And why shouldn't Albrecht Durer help people learn German.

Warum darf Albrecht Durer nicht man Deutsch zu lernen helfen?

(I think...) Plus, I know I'm leaving out the umlauts, and hope no one will give me shit about it.

Doctor J said...

Speaking of Archive Fever, those pics leave plenty of their own "Freudian impressions," I think.

And what's up with the mice in the lion/forest pic? They seem weird and out-of-place... but, then again, Ich bin nicht ein deutscher Lowe.

christophresh said...

I will translate for you. Imagine you are sitting by my fireplace (I will imagine I actually *have* a fireplace, so we can split the effort), at my knee, and I am reading fables to you.
"A lion lies in the forest and sleeps. A little mouse plays in the place[die Stelle], while the lion sleeps. He wakes; the little mouse says "Don't kill me. If you don't kill me, I will not play in your woods again."
The lion thinks to himself: "A lion doesn't need to kill little animals; he doesn't need to kill a mouse." He says "Run, lil' mousie [Mauslein], play far away."
Several days later, the lion runs into a net, and he cannot escape. The mouse hears him roar, and runs to other mice. "If we free the lion", says the lil' mouse, "we can show him that we are free and that a free mouse is stronger than a lion in a net."
They quickly run back through the woods and bite the net to shreds [zerbeissen das Netz] with their sharp teeth. Soon the lion again goes free and happily through the forest, the King of the animals.

I think that we have all learned an important lesson here today, ja?

christophresh said...

also, Leigh: yes. Deeply Freudian. Why do bears sniff at young girls while their boyfriends tightly grip at enormous trees? With the hairy bears at the base, the very *root* of the trees?
It's some obvious Cos-play, furry/bestial, cuckolding, masochistic, misogynistic business, that.

Doctor J said...

I need you to put your Christophresh skillz to the test in my ongoing Suessian challenge here.