7.29.2008

Humility and Repentance : Let There Be Music

So I apologize for the last blog. I haven't heard any complaints, but I knew going in that my screed, my decree, might be decried as grandiose. That it might tickle some of you as off-topic, even though it WAS the topic.

((Well! Don't say I didn't warn you of My Awesome Powers when the Christo-Pocalypse rains upon the earth.))

But I know that you come here not for spiritual revelation, but musical revelation:



AND THUS IT SHALL BE.



{{updated August 5th, with some streaming audio and direct links to select MP3s!}}



DOWNLOAD The Coup : http://www.mediafire.com/The Coup- Get Up.mp3



STREAM The Coup at IMEEM :







Here is a mix I made (should I say, of which 'I Am the Creator'? Hmmm...) All the tracks are all stone-cold rockers; real cuts as Lindsey says; all killer no filler; etcet etcet.

Here is the cover that I made for my copy of the mix:







With Less Ado:

"Kill: The DJ.zip"







More Mix CD’s for you: MIXPLANATIONS




I teach at a Philadelphia-area university, and last semester I taught 'philosophy of contemporary music'

It was pretty great.



((btw : THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS IS THAT I WANT TO BURN THESE MIXES FOR YOU- you being actual friends: actual meaning that you have a face- WITH AWESOME CD SLEEVE DECORATIONS AND PICTURES AND STUFF: SO TELL ME IF YOU RIKEY AND I WILL MAIL THEM TO YOU BECAUSE I WUV YOU: I wuv you if you have a face, that is))



I put a few tracks together almost every class, and although I usually forgot to play more than one or two, I sent all selections via email. Great. But that only means that some of my students (some of them- I think most never listened to any of it) got to hear.

BOO I like you better than my students.



http://www.mediafire.com/Sleater Kinney - I Wanna Be Yr Joey Ramone.mp3





What okay so I took all the songs I ever picked out, and chopped them into 8 different mixes. 8 which on its side is the symbol for infinity. Cos that's a lot. Most of these have a musical sound that they ride through the mix.



*SOME BACKGROUND* I never thought mix CDs should be letters to a friend, or documents of a 'moment', or eighty minutes of your favorite or most fun songs that you could think of, off the top of your head-like.

My default mode for mix CD'ing is closer to a DJ. There will be a mood or a song with a very specific musical quality to it, and then there will be a selection of all the songs that resemble the mood/song. Then, you pare down the songs on the basis of which ones fit together. There will probably be certain songs that

M U S T MUST must

be on the mix, and so you have to get from point A (must 1) to point B (must 2), using those other songs that might work, that might make the cut. So it fits together from song to song and as a whole.

And still to me that is the model of a mix. Points as Joints: each song, as a relatively discrete point, must form a jointure with the next point, and together they form something like an organic whole. LESSON OVER now on to the Kill: The DJ.zip mix I made from class. They are all tootoo dope.











Wheres Jack the Ripper? (Origin Unknown RMX) - Grooverider



This first one is called "Kill: The DJ".zip, not "Kill the DJ". OKAY? This one is very good. It is not happy with your testwork. It has some stunners, and it might maybe have a headache. But it won't give you one, prolly.







Panic (live) ----- Billy Bragg



I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone ----- Sleater-Kinney



Love Will Tear Us Apart ----- Joy Division



Age Of Consent ----- New Order



Paint It Black ----- The Rolling Stones



Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) ----- Neil Young



Summer ----- Mogwai



Sluta Följa Efter ----- Dungen

http://www.mediafire.com/Dungen-Sluta Följa Efter.mp3



What's Ya Take on Cassavettes ----- Le Tigre



Posse Slash ----- Vast Aire (f Karniege, Breez Evahflowin, Poison Pen & Aesop Rock)



Get Up ----- The Coup



Earth People ----- Dr. Octagon



We Enter RMX ----- Optical



Where's Jack the Ripper? (Origin Unknown RMX) ----- Grooverider



KILL: THE DJ .zip



You probably recognize some of these, and if so, you should have a decent mental image of what the others sound like, based on the shared feel of the ones you know.

It is the of utmost import that you listen to these IN ORDER: I didn't just pick out like the best songs ever (although I most certainly DID do that), but also sequenced them properly. (It's a gift; what can I say.)

Mogwai, then Dungen?: It's A Must!





Sluta Följa Efter - Dungen




And how do you hopscocth from the Rolling Stones (very old) to some crucial junglist anthems? Why, you must get some rock-with-synths (thx Kathleen Hanna! Hai JD! ay Johanna!) in that-there mix! Then slide through some lurching, icy, creeping hip-hop. Smooth: easy breezy mang.



Panic is that Smiths joint. But here is a live Billy Bragg version.

*Joey Ramone has Corin Tucker making this way-rad squealing noise.

You have danced to this Joy Division at Making Time, AND at Click!. So, you know.

*When will the New (world) Order finally arrive?....

You may have wanted to dance to Paint it Black at Kelliann's in West Philly, but you never did.

*Mogwai puts on a fierce intense destructive live show. Some think that the album off of which this song comes is their best; some people are silly little things. COME ON DIE YOUNG is their best.

Dungen sounds old, and many-headed; it is new, and mostly just one person. He even plays the drums!!?!!

*Le Tigre: My take on Cassavettes is that I loved 'Faces' better than "woman under the influence", which is quite good. "Genius, or misogynist?": How about, "Both"?

Vast got vastly lazy these last few years: here he is still killing mics.

*The Coup are as relevant as ever. Funky Bay-area business, all in the name of black rights/consciousness/pride/greatness/etc.

Kool Keith is still Krazy.

*Optical is strictly for the heads- tell me if I know any 'heads' anymore please.... "and we enter, enter with the funk of the future...."

And this Grooverider track (though not this remix) is what got me into drum and bass decisively. I had Goldie's Metalheadz comp, and enjoyed it, but when I heard "Where's Jack the Ripper?", I lost it.



I never got it back.

KILL: THE DJ .zip

And neither will you.





12 comments:

KHG said...

okay, i am still not religious enough to want to replace an old deity with a new version, even if it is you. but i am interested enough in this post to request the hard copy with illustrations of this mixcd. please.

christophresh said...

Ask and ye shall receive.
I'll burn you a few other mixes from this series too.
I know you will like "Pretty Pretty Songs" too; it has some bands you like on it.
Consider the other mixes a late birthday present: the present is late, not the birthday.
But I suspect you knew that...

Doctor J said...

Yeah, I want you to put me on your list of recipients for your divine mixmastering products. I'm not gonna post my real address here, but shoot me an email soon so I can give it to you.

And I want the CD's with the cool cover art and lots and lots of liner notes. Old school.

Speaking of liner notes, I was just looking at the ones to Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited the other day. C-R-A-Z-Y and crazy good stuff, there. My favorite excerpt:

" Autumn, with two zeros above her nose arguing over the sun being dark or Bach is as famous as its commotion & that she herself -- not Orpheus -- is the logical poet "I am the logical poet" she screams "Spring? Spring is only the beginning!" she attempts to make Cream Judge jealous by telling him of down-to-earth people & while the universe is erupting, she points to the slow train & prays for rain and for time to interfere -- she is not extremely fat but rather progressively unhappy . . . ."

Doctor J said...

I also attempt to make various Judges jealous by telling them of down-to-earth people.

christophresh said...

drJ, you can have the mailed delights too! I will get them out soonish. I will probably post another of the mixes soon, and then get down to business and start shipping.

Also, here is a picture of Foucault making judges jealous by talking of certain little read texts that may, or may not, have a direct relation to certain everyday people's practices.

I don't think they post pics in the comments here, so here is the link to cut and paste:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/cmd10634/FoucaultonthesetofofthefilmMoiPierr.jpg

Evidently they made a film out of Foucault's book (Full title!)
"I, Pierre Riviere, having slaughtered my mother, my sister, and my brother: A case of parricide in the 19th century".
Technically, it is not a book by F, but a 'dossier' compiled by him. It is in large part the confession of P Rivere, with additional court documents, newspaper accounts, and some essays (called 'notes', no doubt so to refocus the emphasis on P R himself, not the 'experts') by contemporary French people, including F.

We should compile more dossiers!
But maybe this unique style of text-production would contribute to a cult of personality, of which drJ was just addressing the effects on her blog.
So it could get messy.

Doctor J said...

Holy crapola, christophresh! You're not going to beliebe this, I know, but Pierre Rivere was actually the FIRST book I read by Foucault! I don't think I even knew who he was at the time...

It's funny how sometimes the first thing we read by a particular author continues to influence how we read everything else. That's certainly been the case with me, F, and Pierre.

I gotta track down that movie.

Doctor J said...

You should TOTALLY read PR, by the way. Fascinating.

And, for the record, I'm pretty sure that blogspot is already in the process of compiling whatever will count as the "dossier" of my life.

Doctor J said...

Well, blogspot and the Memphis-area criminal court system... 'cause, you know, I did spend a short time in the joint, here.

christophresh said...

'I, P.R.' is fascinating. Some of the notes were boring and precious, but what can you do.
DrJ, your comment about the blogspot dossier is funny.

Blogspossier!

I might put up another mix today- your radio show is today too-
I'm going to listen to it. Can I download it, for 'at-my-pleasure/leisure' listening?
If not, I will record it from the streaming audio- that's right, I can record *any* audio direct to my computer?

How, you ask?:
I am from the FUTURE, that's how.

Doctor J said...

Yeah, you can download my radio show. The podcast home is here.

Doctor J said...

And "blogspossier" is f-ing brilliant. BRILLIANT, I say!

Doctor J said...

If you want to dowload a truly GREAT episode of my radio show, you should get this one or this one.