10.06.2008

Older Gents - In Suits - With Tasteful Arrangments

Time to go see some shows. Shows that will be well-populated by older gents.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tomorrow.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Opium Tea.mp3, from their "Rarities and B-Sides" compilation.



When I saw them in Portland, it was all German men in suits. Plus me, alone, because I have BETTER MUSICAL TASTE than all my friends (oh, except you!, don't be naff! I'm not talking about you at all!) I wonder what sorts will come out for it this time, in Philly rather than Portland (I know that Liam and Greg and Alex will be there- I mean what Other sorts?).

I just mentioned Kid Congo Powers to you in my post about his former band, the Gun Club; he is opening for N.Cave and B.Seeds this Tuesday at the Electric Factory. (He used to be in the Bad Seeds, too). Here he is, as a picture - He is the one with the gun over his heart.







I should have a nickname like his. "Kid Christophresh Physis"?









Perhaps not (at least I didn't haz teh epic fail).





OH! As I am writing this, I just saw a man in A SUIT, AND a woman with DYED BLACK HAIR! It's like I'm at the show already!

Also, related to this show, I recently bought the new Tindersticks album. It's good. However, it's a bit quiet; too quiet for me to prove to you, decisively, that they are a band for whom you must demonstrate devotion.
Here is a stream of a song from another album:




Tindersticks are great, and this song has some of their key elements: strings (which produce dramatics), Stuart Staples' warbly voice, hotel rooms (hourly, perhaps- I think Tindersticks' library must include a fair bit of Bataille- this song has "when the cab ride seems to long, we go have sex in the bathroom" going for it [lyrically, I mean]), ricocheting drums to keep you uneasy, drinking, arguments (not exclusive of drinking), and a whole world of destructive desires and fantasy ("I could've drowned in all those so-called dreams", Stuart informs), mournful horns, usw.
("usw." is German- it means "und so weiter", which fairly literally means 'and so forth' but is translated well by "etc.", which itself is Latin.)




Download another fantastic song by Tindersticks here; it's called "Can We Start Again". Many of their songs sound like 'starting again':
within an old love;
with a new love;
in a new place;
fresh out of rehab, usw.

Or, instead of downloading, you can listen at this object:




I'm also going to see TV On The Radio on Friday. I'm going because it's free; they are a fine band, but I never felt like listening to their first album.
So I sold it. But I didn't get much money for it, because it was one of those heavily-promoted records that is sold much cheaper for the first few months. It was something like $8.99, $9.99 new. No, really. So when I sold it, people already had it.
Oh, and you thought I would never come back to it, but here is the icing for those patient souls who get ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM:

there will be lots of old men at this show too, because this is a nerdy,
much blogged about and beloved band (a much be-blogged band),
because they are slightly obnoxious,
different in terms of makeup (there are black men in the band, which is rare in indie),
and, actually pretty interesting....
so older music critics (and the older men who want to be music critics- you know, like, actual journalists, with 'end of the year top tens' and bios and all that) love love LOVE them.

You know, like this guy (don't ask...)

1 comment:

christophresh said...

I didn't go to the show. They stopped selling tickets by 10 o'clock. This made my face sad. But Alex and I got beers with Eric and Katie, and even though the bartender at the White Dog was very odd and, as one patron put it, he was "an obnoxious cunt", the beer was cheap, and good, and eased me away from the shores of anger, toward the blissful Isle of the Blessed.