4.07.2009

HYPERTEXT MGA-BLG

Here's a quote from poet Dylan Thomas:

"Look look, I got books;
See! See! I got CDs!
Fer sure, fer sure, I got pictures;
Stacks and stacks of hot hot wax."

Wax is vinyl; you should know that.

Listen to this:



I'm letting you download it here, too

[[[ Today I also got Jerry Butler and a soul compilation (all Philly Soul Power), with that above song on it. I figured you all might LOVE THE SHIT OUT OF IT because, mostly true, the song "Dirty Old Man" basically was when my blog broke into the mainstream consciousness, and this song sort of sounds like it.
More funk, but a little less sass. But really, isn't funk sassy, and isn't sass a bit funky? So it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, see? ]]]

Here's what I got recently:
CDs from Portland
Surrender to Jonathan! by Jonathan Richman ( on Vapor Records)

...This is really the picture on the CD...
-----------(dude's pretty funny)----------

The Animals: Retrospective (I have a lot of these songs on 'wax' already, but the songs I didn't have are impressively out there... you'll see someday, when I focus my blog's LAZERVIZION on how batshit crazy ALL British rockers are. For instance, The Who?: CRAZY)

Gary Numan: Archive (just totally random stuff of his, compiled by some random British- hence, crzy- label that he never recorded on. Also, Numan, British himself, though not a 'rocker', is also crazy: check the Wiki factsheet)

Suicide: reissued second album, and first rehearsal tapes (weird early American synthesized-not-techno jams: It blurbles, and how.

Guy sings like Elvis, no honest!: remember that song "Juxebox Babe" on the Annie 'DJ Kicks!' mix? That's the same guy/singer/dude.)

Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels: Devil with a Blue Dress and Other Hits (on, ahem, Flashback records)
Notice how much old, old old stuff I've been buying lately? I could practically DJ 'Bouffant Bangout' all by my lonesome!
I'm pleased as punch by more expanding 'oldhead' CD section, but really, don't the titles of these sound totally uninspiring?: 'Other Hits': y a w n -but really, it's good

Jonathan Richman: Soundtrack to 'Revolution Summer' (this is really great, because it sounds JUST LIKE him, but it is totally different. More different than his "Jonathan Goes Country!" album. Really, he has an album called that.)
(( I think that maybe 'different' cannot be made superlative, like how 'unique' cannot be: 'more unique', see, just is not right ))
C'mon, I'm serious: Are any of these albums I bought regular albums? 'Reissued Retrospective Archive of Other Soundtrack Hits'...

THE STOOGES: S/T (well, maybe 'N/T' is more accurate)

A proper album, please note....
(same picture, please note)


Hot, Funky, and Sweaty: 10 Super Rare Original Funk Killers From The Late 60's to the Early 70's (THE UNDISPUTED BLACK MIND POWER)
That is the real full (and really full, and fully real) title, and yes, there is a crocodile water-skiing on the cover??!?!?!?!? Because it's a comp from a French label, figure that out. The CD is printed so that it looks like a 45 rpm record: pretty sweet, though not a brand new idea.

But really, if "brand new" were my criteria, first I'd be stupid, and second, none of this would have got bought, right?

2 comments:

pinchefresco said...

I also have been only getting old music. Are we getting old, or is this just what people do now?

christophresh said...

No, we're not getting old. (you are getting old when you stop actively listening to music: cause, or effect?...)
I think it is actually a function of how 'young' we are: cultural weathervanes, you and I. People are beginning to get burned out on the newNEWnew hott new thang, discovered, listened to, friended on the internet: all but created by the internet.
It's like having sex with a slut: still good, but after a while, it seems "same ol' same ol'", even if it's in a different car, under a pool table, in a tree in Rittenhouse Square, etc. The thrill goes.
I'm not saying new music is less good than old music; it's the approach all-but necessitated by the net that causes the burnout.
At least that's the way it is for me: most my old stuff was found on record first, even if I then buy a CD from Mostly Books or something later.