1.05.2010

The Essential (F'ing) Davidson! - KAPOW

Kimmie (AKA DKB) made me look this up many weeks ago.



Pretty good, right?
Because he is wearing a tuxedo, and it is night, and he is not crying, it reminds me of this song:

Download: Tuxedomoon- No Tears

(b/c its chorus says "No Tears for the Creatures of the Night: No Tears!")



I got this song on a mix CD that AKA Music put out years ago.
(Just last night, a secret meeting of philosophers convened at Oscar's, and we decided that this was, for all of us, the only record store in Philadelphia that we really liked.)

Most of the band's songs don't sound like this, I'm told. This is antsy-dancey post-punk. A really fast keyboard line cranks out of it; mucho post-macho guitars. So, while it is a tough little number, you don't have to be, or even want to be, a tuff-guy to appreciate it.

It would sound great on the soundtrack to a remake of Fritz Lang's M, about which I just watched a videoblurb on NYTimes.com.
M is one of my favorite movies ever; I am bad at putting together lists of things (top, worst, year-end) but I can always remember that this movie would go on the list.

But here comes a list: things I bought/got for Xmas.
(CHRIStmas is not my birthday; don't worry, you are not the only one who gets confused about this.)
I'm only going to list media: you are hopefully none too concerned with the colors, brands, and number of socks that I received
(black and browns; Gold-Toe and Dockers; five thousand-ish, FYI)
because I asked for precisely such sundry necessaries.

[Partial list: more to come...]

Books

The Essential Davidson (!!!!!!!!!!!) by Donald(oh...) Davidson
(Famous!)
Man of Reason by Genevieve Lloyd
(Feminist!)
A Collected Marquise de Sade
(Fisting!)
The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions by Kenji Kawakami
(Funny!)
Therapy of Desire by Martha Nussbaum
(Fundamentals on Freedom From disturbance!)
Origins of Greek Thought by Pierre Vernant
(Foucault's Friend!)
The Odd One in: On Comedy by Alenka Zupančič
(Freedom = Funny!)
Introduction to Kant's Anthropology (Semiotext(e) Foreign Agents) by Michel Foucault
(Foucault!)

Next List: CDs/records that I scored...

No comments: