12.28.2009

Specific Obscene Enjoyment

On Facebook, some degenerates who I know have added an app that tells you your ten most-used words. Accurately, a friend described El Jefe's as resembling an angry haiku.
Now, I - and you too; hell, all of us - would love to know what my words are. But I refuse to let FB all up in my Face by adding stuff.



Instead, I present the following accidental poems. Stochastic or Tyche-type Poesy. These are quotes that begin and end the passages that I wanted my students to read. I didn't write them out so that they would make rad short bits;
BUT THEY DID because this is exactly the kind of RAnDom (=rad+random, see?) stuff that intrudes into my life.

‘There I had already learned…message was “I don’t care”.’
‘This notion of the imaginary…not being part of American reality.’
‘What if, then, there is no ‘normal role’?...or not in the expected way.’
'Is that why so many examples…take the risk and have a position.’
'In combination with psychoanalysis…threatening to explode.’

‘With the logic of Real-as-impossible…between the object and das Ding.’
‘Your analysis of contemporary…void filled by appearances.’
‘By the late 1980s profound…there is no way out for them.’
‘In your work you have…even more radical and intrusive.’

‘the problematic of Franz Fanon…potentially redemptive disciplinary drive.’
‘And in contemporary…racist, chauvinist or whatever.’
‘And against this abstract machine…the eyes of its own people.’
‘This idea of de facto closure…justifies absolute ruthlessness.’
‘On the other hand…specific obscene enjoyment.’


I taught Slavoj Zizek for my last weeks of class. It seemed to go well.
Partly because I soft-pedaled some of the more difficult ideas.
Partly because I taught Zizek as if he were Freud. Concepts like the Oedipus complex (You want to f**k your Mother! You will kill, and then supplant, your father!
Stop thinking those asterisks look like buttholes, you pervert!)
are not that hard to grasp, although they may be a little hard to swallow.


Stop It!


No comments: