12.09.2009

"500 Miles" : Away From Home

I am more than 500 miles away from home; but I will be returning soon. For Xmas, yep.



<{([ Download a version of above song here ])}>
or find many many different versions of this standard on YouTube here



Note that this is not The Proclaimers song, "(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles". That's a different tune. Of course, this is itself a song that is different from itself: the YouTube clip is from country legend Bobby Bare (not Booby Bare- that means something completely different...), but the download is an even better version by Leon Bibb.
I had to post a different clip, because what I have on vinyl, does not even exist upon the whole wide worldwide internet.
Believe It!
I will eventually try to put some of the album I have ("Encore!") on YouTube someday. But that seems like a bit much planning and execution for today. But, the task grows ever-more pressing... as more "pressings" that I want to put up are not put up by other people. (haha- "pressings": that's lingo for records!)
Other people: So Lazy!
(not this guy, though: his was the only site I could find with pictures of the album I have. I like him. He is German, and you noticed that the Bobby Bare had German subtitles...)

I thought the lyrics said, "If you miss me when I'm gone, you will know that I am gone..."
( In fact, they say "If you miss the train I'm on, ... " )
I took the first lyrics to be sort of smart-ass. Like, well, if you don't miss me now, when I'm really gone, boy-howdy-by-golly, then you'll sure 'nuff start to miss me. But the song isn't a breakup song, so those lyrics wouldn't work well anyhow. Plus, that just ain't what the man said.



Speakin' a what a man said, click on the above pic for a bigger version; you can read all about Bibb there. Great verbiage like "separates the man from the boys", "concertizing", "has also appeared at most of the major nightclubs in the United States and Canada." "Most" of the venues in North America: that is a lot of concertizing!
So often, Bibb must have been 500 miles away from home.

No comments: