12.22.2009

The WRapper

I was The Wrapper Xmas gifts today, and it reminded me of this song.
"The Rapper" by Jaggerz.
The name (of the song) is misleading, and
the name (of the group) don't make no sense at all.



The name: because it is not about hip-hop- the song is from 1970, before hip-hop-rapping. They mean a guy who spits game at girls. He tries to pick up on all the ladies ... with sexy results ... Which makes for some funny lines in the song.
The group: because they didn't want to be confused with another band called The Jaggers, and Jaggerz really sets you apart from The Jaggers.
("s" and "z" are even right next to each other on the keyboard, making it easy to type them wrong. And while they didn't have personal computers in 1970, they did have typewriters: likewise QWERTY.
Lest you forget that bit of our technological past, for we are still haunted by the ghosts of technology past.)
Now, if they pronounced it "Yaygers", like Jaegermeister, maybe I can see a difference. I have a tie with the Jaegermeister symbol on it; oddly it is the symbol for patron saints of hunting. Jaeger means hunter auf Deutsch. Why anyone would put either a saintly symbol on a tie or a liquor brand symbol on a tie is beyond me.
(for formal deer hunts?) (for Rapping at 'classy broads'?)

Wikipedia 'clarifies' thus: "The Jaggerz had completed their evolution into how they are most known." Ah yes, I see, of course. The article also helpfully distinguishes between their Golden Age and their Waning Years, despite the fact that the article affirms their status as One Hit Wonders. Of course, I see, yes.


Please note that the chorus of this song is truly a delight.
Please note also that I do not know why the background video is something from the ABC Family channel. And, no, I can't tell who is dating who in the video either.


I won't say what I wrapped, even though the people I am giving to don't read my blog. They can use computers; these family members are not that old. But, I think they may not have been told of the giant excursion into S O U N D that is this blog yet.

RAPPER!

No comments: