2.14.2010

Bill Withers: "Who Is He", and How Is He Still So Ill?

I was supposed to go to Memphis this weekend, but I wasn't able to. Travel plans became a casualty of infinite snow.
No big deal.
What is a big deal is that my favored coffee shop is closed today- some holiday of some sort- and the other one?
Having a birthday party
(a V-day B-day Par-tay)
for children, in the back. I am deeply pleased with myself for bringing headphones...
Now, to the business at hand.

Download a little valedictorian valentine, for all you valetudinarians out there! This one will make you feel tuff and buff!
Bill Withers- Who Is He (And What Is He To You?)
"Valedictorian" means 'highest' in 'class', and this songs does possess class for days.
You, however, are like school in the summer, or school this last week in Philadelphia: NO CLASS.
A "valetudinarian" is a sickly, weakly constituted little pffff of a person.

Even if you are such a pffff, this song has a boss little edge to it. It's about a guy, looking at his girl, who appears to be looking at some other guy. Looking at him like, 'oh hey, I know you and I got a thing, but this guy is my guy, so don't mean-mug him, you knew we were OPP and all that' or somesuch. But Bill is not sure he wants to be caught up in all that, ya know?




Mr. Bill is so slept on! We all know him from that 'Use Me' song from American Beauty, we all know 'Lean on Me', and some of us love "Ain't No Sunshine" (yes, all these are the same gentleman). But what about "Granma's hands", "Harlem", "Kissing", "Another Day to Run", "I Don't Want You On My Mind"?!?!?!
People! Let's get our shit together! Now a movie is out about the guy; we missed the screening in West Philly, but can still catch it in Lower Merion.
ROADTRIP?!!?!?!

(sorry about so many exclamatory question marks- I've been
at home
alone
a lot
lately.)

Still Bill Trailer from B-Side Entertainment on Vimeo.



The trailer has stupid sting in it, boo, but also awesome Cornel West. Sure, s was in The Police, but Cornel West is a philosopher, which according to Ranciere means that he disrupts 'police', and also, Dr. West's album has Prince, Andre 3000, Talib Kweli, Black Thought, and WHYY Philadelphia's own Tavis Smiley.

That's enough for now. One of the Vday Bday children lost a pair of glasses. I should go help them find them.
no, not really

No comments: