9.05.2008

Wise Up: Jerry Butler

I just wised up to the great Jerry Butler. Choice!

I had one of his records, it turns out, but hadn’t listened to it yet. The other day I got about 40 records… for about fifteen bucks.
I bought so many records, that I had to buy a backpack in order to carry them all. It was Heavy!



Including the bag, Zoolander on VHS, 3 books (one about making Aarow brand dress shirts!), and the records, I paid 23 dollars. Bag + VHS + Books >/= $7.
Second Mile, I tell you, is nothing to fuck with.
I got New Edition, Temptations, JERRY BUTLER, The Moments, the Whispers, the shit, etc.

Mr. Butler has a strong, clear and clean voice. Reminds me some of Sam Cooke, but not so mournful. But that way that they can both sort of project a really manly sound, and never seem like they are straining at all: as if it were as easy as talking. That ease with the mic is why he’s called the Iceman.


So, of the three albums that I have, there are three distinctive “Butlers”.



One is full of simple soul songs. (Simple like a circle is simple: it’s perfect, smoothly elegant -- unimpeachable.)

“When a Man Loves a Woman” is on there, you see? Sounds like the early Temptations, with Smokey (think of “My Girl”, for instance). It’s called “Mr. Dream Merchant”.


One is partly Burt Bacharach Songs; more complex, and melodies that are always very bittersweet. More sad. “Moon River”. "Make It Easy On Yourself" (Burt) and even "Yesterday" (Beatles) but punched up with some more sophisticated arrangements.
This album is called “All-Time Greatest Hits”, but they really should have waited before stating “All-Time”, b e c a u s e….:


One is a FULLBLOWN Gamble and Huff Production. They all called it ICE ON ICE (……coooooooool……). Stompers, funky cuts, and NOW we get a little strain in that voice, cos the
S O U L
is getting loose! More like Otis, or even a not-high (and so, more restrained) James Brown. "Moody Woman" is a famous cut off of that album.

By the way, I once received a subpoena for the trial of James Brown. Of course, this particular James Brown was in Juvenile Court (he had mugged Adriel when I was with her months before- but he didn’t technically mug me. From me, he got NOTHING! Nothing, you hear!) in Philadelphia.
And, as I said and as you read, this album happened in Philadelphia too. Gamble and Huff (not humble or gruff) worked out of Philly, on Philly International records.
I really should have kept that subpoena; could've sold it on Ebay or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God made Jesus out of his own essence but also conceptually distinct from him as per the Puritan reading of Augustine. I know this because Milton knows this. Arrrgg and farts. Jojo likes the Will Oldham a little too much. Use it to get on his good side (the only other thing that might work is a pair of massive, wet, flobbering titties) and then rob him of his aluable valuables. You know who robs you of the time it takes to read this...SATAN!