5.14.2009

Brief News In Brief



[A] Mr. Lif is at Johnny Brenda's coming Monday (May 18th, my dad's birthday). That's him up der. A very Public Enemy-ish beat, which can only be understood as high praise.
[B] The Roots, at their Roots' Picnic, are playing with Public Enemy, doing "Nation of Millions" all the way through. {also with TV on the Radio, The Black Keys, & Santigold}
If you have $50, go; if not, see Lif with me. (He lives in Philly now.)

[C] Woody Allen is engaged in a legal spat with the founder of American Apparel. Dov Charney used Woody's image sans permission. I think Dov's billboard might have been saying that anti-Semites want to drag down any Jew who has sex? Maybe yes? Anyway, check the summary of AA's defense:
1)The Meteoric Rise of Dov Charney and His Company, American Apparel
2) The Media Vilifies Mr. Charney and Turns Against American Apparel
3) The Woody Allen/Annie Hall Epiphany
4) The Display of the Images [booty]
5) The Images as Mr. Charney's Artistic Expression, Social Commentary and Art Parody
6) Mr. Charney Consistently Champions the First Amendment's Freedom of Expression
(full analysis by real lawyers here, NJK)

[D] Roxana Saberi was released from prison. She's an American reporter who was jailed for espionage, after a 15-minute trial, in Iran. Then she was let out.
You already knew that, huh? Well, how about this: She used to be a "Miss North Dakota". She wears the charming white one-piece below, and says she would like to end both world hunger and politically motivated, judicially suspect jailings.


[E] Popped! musical goings-on is free and in my area June 20th.

You can 'rent a tent' for $125.

[F] Steven Wright, who I web-blabbed about here, is playing the Keswick Theater. I don't really go see live comedy (do you?), but I though this presented me a golden opportunity to link to myself, which is done by any mature blog worth a hill of beans.
He says things like this:
One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you
see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read."

No comments: