6.21.2010

Some Bodies Have Organs

All right, the archive extends- Part Two- the second half of records I bought last trip to West Philly.


Charlie Rich, singing about 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World'


Elton Britt: The Wandering Cowboy. His band probably is not wandering too far; there is plenty of honky-tonk organ in this.
Surely, you can drag your slide-steel, your banjo across the country- but not your Wurlitzer.

"My Organ is too BIG!"

This is my record's cover:
(I sort of wish this was the cover:)



Jose Melis Plays the Latin Way. His album before this is titled Senior Prom!

Don't know much of anything about this/him yet.


Beatles '65, Older B's stuff. I can't hardly be bothered to listen to most Beatles' stuff, for various reasons. This, however, is good.

Chuck Berry covers, Birth-of-Rock-n-Roll kind of stuff, which, if you've been downloading my mixes, you know is my passionate attachment lately. ("IF?") I think the first Beatles Anthology has different versions of a lot of these songs.

Lou Rawls Merry Christmas Ho! Ho! Ho! and an Al Green Xmas album. The Rawls is solid- even behind a veil of ignorance (...) you would recognize that.

The Rev. Green's Xmas, though, is basically a bag of coal.
I would wear the hell outta that suit above, btw.

Richie Havens Mixed Bag

Quite Good, one of the real discoveries of this music-spelunking trip.

Charlie Rich Silver Fox.

Check the sweet Fox Logo!
Does a very odd 'medley' on the first side. In which he discusses his bio (including his many musical shifts- from Jazz, to Rock 'n' Roll, to Country), cracks a few 'jokes', etc. In between the spoken bio bits, he plays newly-recorded versions of his most famous songs, usually just the chorus and a verse. Why does he do this? I haven't the foggiest, frankly.

Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

A little mellow for my normal listening tastes, but real slow burn soulful heavenly stuff. Perfect for relaxed cooking, doing the dishes, a light summer rain outside, etc. (I know all that does not sound like high praise, but I'm trying to describe the mood that would make you put this record on- it is much more enjoyable than washing the dishes.)
Unfortunately, the first two tracks- on both sides- are all warped to hell. So I can only listen to about 60% of this album.
Pffffffff.

No comments: