6.23.2010

I Know I Done Wrong

Songs like the following are why i have grown steadily more interested in old country and western music of late. A real story in the lyrics (not just words about some things that merely happened); and sad beautiful. Like watching a big ship, slowly sinking into the sea, in a film.
(not like "Titanic", you dope)



There are infinite good versions of this song. Like much C 'n' W music, it's based on songs that are so old, nobody can tell just who "originally" wrote them. Even professors don't know, and dude trust me, professors KNOW IT ALL.
Marty Robbins has my favorite version- that's why it's playing now- but I just copped another version by Elton Britt with the Zeke Manners' Band. The song-writing credits on the Britt record say "Manners", which got me wondering if ol' Zeke originally wrote the song; but no. Must've just arranged it or sumtin.
Now this song tugs on the old heartstrings more nearly every time I hear it. I SING this song, do you see? You realize what it takes to get me singing, out LOUD?? A pretty special song, that's what it takes (or a fair bit of coffee).

I'd wager that this song is more sad and touching than even Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia", no mean feat.

Recall that I posted (way yonder) re: a band called Salem, and their version of "S of P"? Well, their album is coming out late
summer, very exciting. I'm even going to PURCHASE it. You can download a track of theirs here, at XLR8R.com.
See how I draw all this together? I'm a very special man, aren't I?

No comments: